1D model of the human cerebral vasculature: Circle of Willis and leptomeningeal anastomoses
The model described here is a 1D representation of the main vessels of a healthy cerebral vascular network. It also includes the leptomeningeal anastomoses, small arterioles that connect the anterior and posterior districts of the brain to the middle one and provide alternative perfusion routes in case of occlusion of a major brain vessel.
The network is based on the model of the Circle of Willis
published in . Vessels branching from left and right middle cerebral
arteries are obtained from . Mechanical and geometrical properties of
arteries branching from distal anterior cerebral arteries and from posterior
cerebral arteries are derived from  and . Vessels are assumed to be straight,
narrow tubes that are linearly deformable in their radial direction.
The network provided here has been developed for simulations with the software openBF .
This repository contains three files:
- 1D_CoW.pdf: contains a graphical representation of the network, with numbered nodes and segmentes. Included is also a table with the radii, length, Young's moduli and windkessel parameters of the model.
- CoW_network.yml: input file for openBF simulations. It implementes the network as described in 1D_CoW.pdf.
- CoW_inlet.dat: input file for openBF simulations. It describes the inlet flowrate applied at the ascending aorta.
 Alastruey, J., K. H. Parker, J. Peiro, S. M. Byrd, S. J. Sherwin. Modelling the circle of Willis to assess the effects of anatomical variations and occlusions on cerebral flows. J Biomech. 40(8):1794-1805, 2007
 Melis, A., F. Moura, I. Larrabide, K. Janot, R. H. Clayton, A. P. Narata, et al. Improved biomechanical metrics of cerebral vasospasm identified via sensitivity analysis of a 1D cerebral circulation model. J Biomech. 90:24-32, 2019
 Blanco, P. J., S. M. Watanabe, M. A. Passos, P. A. Lemos, R. A. Feijoo. An anatomically detailed arterial network model for one-dimensional computational hemodynamics. IEEE Trans Biomed Eng. 62(2):736-753, 2015
 Phan, T. G., J. Hilton, R. Beare, V. Srikanth, M. Sinnott. Computer modeling of anterior circulation stroke: proof of concept in cerebrovascular occlusion. Front Neurol. 5:176, 2014
 Melis, A. openBF: Julia software for 1D blood flow modelling. Figshare. 2018; doi: https://doi.org/10.15131/shef.data.7166183
Horizon 2020 - CompBioMed project, grant agreement 675451
Horizon 2020 - CompBioMed2 project, grant agreement 823712
- There is no personal data or any that requires ethical approval
- The data complies with the institution and funders' policies on access and sharing
Sharing and access restrictions
- The data can be shared openly
- The file formats are open or commonly used
Methodology, headings and units
- Headings and units are explained in the files