Middlesex and Westminster Calendars of Prisoners tried at Sessions of the Peace, 1836-1889
datasetposted on 2017-12-11, 16:53 authored by Sharon HowardSharon Howard
The dataset has been created from printed lists of prisoners tried at Middlesex or Westminster Sessions of the Peace. The information given includes the name of the prisoner, age, occupation, level of literacy, previous convictions, offence charged with, date tried, verdict and sentence.
The Calendars represent a source for offences and punishments at a lower level in the justice system than the Old Bailey, in order to trace previous offending and recidivism. The prisoners in the Calendars can be linked to Old Bailey offenders directly using information about previous offending, and more probabilistically by linkage on personal information (names, ages, occupations, etc).
Arts and Humanities Research Council
- There is no personal data or any that requires ethical approval
- The data complies with the institution and funders' policies on access and sharing
Sharing and access restrictions
- The data can be shared openly
- The file formats are open or commonly used
Methodology, headings and units
- There is a readme.txt file describing the methodology, headings and units